july 18: erin, grad student

background to this bout of wisdom:

so i am a mormon  (ie, i am a member of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints).  the support system that you have being a member of this church is quite something.  i have only been in new york for a couple of months now, and if i ever needed ANYTHING, i have at least fifty people from my church that would help me out in an instant.  before i even moved here, i had people that were reaching out to help me:

plans to stay with a friend here for a few days before moving in to my apartment fell through last-minute, so i was stuck, days before flying out, without a place to stay for about 5 days.  i sent out an email explaining my situation, and i quickly had offers from girls who were willing to let me crash at their apartments!  


the girls that i ended up staying with were really amazing..  all of them were either in graduate school or working, but they never treated me like i was as much younger than them as i really am.  and they not only gave me a free place to stay for a little bit, but they gave me great tips about the city, invited me to do things with them, and even helped me take my suitcases to my apartment, so that i wouldn't have to pay for a taxi.  how sweet is that?! 


one of the girls in the apartment is erin, and she gave a talk on sunday in church which was very incredible and inspiring.  

though she is not a stranger to me, i really wanted to share something that she said in her talk.

she said that there are many joys and blessings that come being a member of this church.  check.  i am already lucky enough to know that.

but then she said something in a way that i hadn't ever realized before:

"This is the blessing of the gospel: happiness either way."

i sat there thinking, yeah, yeah, that's true!  it put my worrying about the future to ease, realizing that no matter what happens (no matter what i end up majoring in, no matter what i end up doing, no matter where i end up living, no matter who i end up marrying), if i am always seeking the Lord's counsel and living in the way that coincides with my convictions, i will be happy.  end of story.  no need to "take thought for the morrow, for the morrow will take thought for the things of itself."

No comments:

Post a Comment